Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tick Tock: The Bourgie Watch Hunt Begins

A year older, a year bourgier -- that's how I see my upcoming birthday...

As a gift to myself (who says you can't buy yourself a gift?), I am looking into purchasing a nice "grown-up" watch. Not too fond of leather straps, I have been looking into several styles of watches by various designers/manufacturers. So far, I have come up with a list of a few likes and dislikes:

Likes
Rose Gold - The color is just perfect for me!
Ceramic
Bling - A bourgie girl without bling is like a zebra without fierce stripes.
Medium-sized faces

Dislikes
Silver - Color looks good on some people, but it is dreadful on me!
NFL Linebacker-sized faces
Blong - When the bling doesn't bling like it's supposed to.
Boyfriend watches - My wrist is just too small for this foolishness. (Plus, how can a single lady wear a "boyrfriend" watch. That's just not right.)

One thing I learned from a sales associate at the Michael Kors in The Mall in Columbia is that Michael Kors watches are manufactured by Fossil - as are DKNY and a number of other designer watches. What does this mean? You are getting the same quality watch at all of the stores, you're just paying upwards of $100 extra for the designer's name! Even more interesting is that Fossil has way more options, and their warranty is incredible (11 years!!).

When choosing a watch, it is important to see how it will look on your wrist. You may love silver, but silver may not love your skin tone. Rose gold was the most flattering for my complexion, but what works for me may not work for you. Also, don't be afraid to try on some that you may not exactly be in love with. You never know how they'll look on your wrist!

*Get Your Bourgie Up mini lesson: Before going into the store, make sure you know how to put on a watch. I know that sounds like common sense, but bourgie watches don't work the same way regular old watches do. If you've never tried on a watch, just go to the store, put on your best bourgie face, and politely ask the sales associate to help you try on some different watches. When you try them on, male sure you ask them if they remove links on site. (This can be a real pain if you don't get it taken care of while you're shopping.) Most places will remove the links for free, and they'll give you the removed links when they're done.*

Make sure you check out a variety of stores/websites before making your final decision. Different stores have different prices, and you want to get the best product AND warranty for your $$. You're going to want to try to product on before you purchase it, so please be careful before ordering online! You also want to make sure you understand how to change the time, date, and any other features your watch might have. (Most "grown-up" watches don't come with instructions!)

I can't wait to buy my watch! If you're hunting for watches, let me know what some of the things are YOU look for.

Happy watch hunting!

A little bonus, for my bourgie nerds out there: The History of Wrist Watches

No comments:

Post a Comment